Founded in 1983 by Dr. Ellis, a specialist in human movement and biomechanics, MIE has unique and comprehensive knowledge relating to the measurement of human performance. MIE develops technological and innovative solutions to aid researchers and clinicians in obtaining qualitative, repeatable, evidence based measurements.
Over the years we have worked in partnership with research institutions, universities, sports scientists, athletes, clinicians and orthopaedic surgeons. Such broad contact has given us a truly unique and specialist knowledge across the entire field of human performance measurement. This has led to a number of patents and the proud development of several 'world firsts'.
More recently, MIE has expanded its product range to the general public with a device designed to measure the physiological parameters of fitness unaided (i.e. without professional assistance being required). The FitQuest™ fitness assessment is adjusted for subjects' age and gender - providing a fitness quotient score - the fitness equivalent of an IQ test (another world first!).
Broad Knowledge Base
The company also has an extensive list of blue chip clients including adidas, BAR, NASA, the British Royal Navy, the British Royal Air Force, the NHS and Bodystat Ltd.
Our work with elite athletes has led to products for restoring performance after individuals suffer soft tissue injuries. MIE's unique electrotherapy products are used by professional sports clubs and by leading vets treating competition horses.
Dr. Ellis continues to lead new product development and measurement projects at MIE. However, we now have dedicated product development teams distributed internationally and even our own scientific advisory board - all of whom pride themselves on developing and harnessing the very latest technologies to create leading products and ground breaking research.
MIE has EN ISO 13485:2003 certification for both design and manufacture of medical devices and is an FDA registered device manufacturer. We are also a registered Data Controller with the ICO.
Scientific Advisory Board
Dr. Malcolm EllisChair
- Managing Director and Founder of MIE Medical Research Ltd (1983 – 2013)
- Technical Director, MIE Medical Research Ltd (2014)
- Research Fellow, Dept. of Medicine, Bioengineering Research Unit, University of Leeds (1974 - 1985)
- Co-Founder Advanced Medical Diagnostics Group
Prof. Necip Berme
- President of Bertec Corporation
- Professor Emeritus Ohio State University, Department of Mechanical and Aeronautical Engineering, USA
- Senior lecturer, University of Strathclyde, UK
- Former committee member, European Society of Biomechanics
Dr. Adam Hawkey
- Chair, Division of Biomechanics and Motor Behaviour (2014-)
- The Sport and Exercise Scientist (TSES), Editorial Advisory Board Member, Biomechanics/Performance Analysis Representative (2012-)
- Podium, Further and Higher Education Unit for London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games, Official Biomechanics Expert (2012)
- Chair, BASES Biomechanics Interest Group (2011-)
Prof. Martin Zvonar
- Dean for research and development, Department of Kinesiology (Faculty of Sports Studies) Masaryk University, Brno, Czech Republic
- Scientific committee, International Scientific Conference on Sport (2013)
- International Scientific Committee UNEFS